My ex commented the other day that I’d changed. He said it like it was a bad thing.
I do see some changes, but mostly I see me. The me that was suppressed. Not that he was oppressive in that way. He didn’t control what I wore or who I was friends with, but there were certain expectations to our life and I never wandered much outside of them. In addition, he wasn’t particularly supportive of my dreams or ideas. (I’m still pretty timid in sharing a lot of things about me because of that. I didn’t start writing again, for example, until a couple months before we separated.) Mostly, it was just the crushing weight of unbalanced responsibility that kills the spirit.
All those years we were together he never really knew me. He says I’m a cold, heartless bitch. I call it determined, focused, and steady. Being determined to do the right thing, to not give into emotional weakness, does not a bitch make.
Whether we want to admit it or not, our past relationships influence our present ones. We may even deliberately refuse to compare our new interest with our past interests. In spite of our best efforts, however, we’re going to. We're going to make sure that old feelings of inadequacy aren't dredged up. We're going to be cautious against traveling down the same road of acceptance. We're going to find it hard not to expect result B from action A.
I don't want to go down an old path. I desperately want to know and be known. I want to find that person who’ll take the time to know me better than I know myself. I still feel lost and I want to be found. Call me morbid, but sometimes I wonder who would speak at my services if I passed away. Who really knows me well enough to? What would they say?
I don't want to go down an old path. I desperately want to know and be known. I want to find that person who’ll take the time to know me better than I know myself. I still feel lost and I want to be found. Call me morbid, but sometimes I wonder who would speak at my services if I passed away. Who really knows me well enough to? What would they say?
I read once, “You learn to like someone when you find out what makes them laugh, but you can never love someone until you find out what makes them cry.” I remember lonely nights when the tears fell silently, the reason I was crying a scant eighteen inches away, oblivious to my hurt. I want someone to know what makes me cry. I never want to feel like I have to censor my emotions. Equally important, I want to know that person in return.
Blake Shelton sings a beautiful song called, “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking?”
Do you pour a little something on the rocks?
Slide down the hallway in your socks?
When you undress, do you leave a path?
Then sink to your nose in a bubble bath?
Do you break things when you get mad?
Eat a box of chocolates cause you’re feeling bad?
Do you paint your toes cause you bite your nails?
Call up momma when all else all fails?
I don’t want to be Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton and you’re never going to see me try out for reality TV show, but just for fun, I’ll share a couple things I do when no one is looking:
- I drink straight out of the milk carton.
- I belch…not burp, belch. Loudly.
- I cry when I’m drinking alone. (It’s not pretty.)
- I rent movies with music and dancing like the Step Up series and old Doris Day flicks.
- I almost always burn at least one grilled cheese sandwich.
What about you? Who are you when no one is looking?
Very few people know who I am when no one is looking. Sometimes I'm not sure myself. Even those people who live with me and see me everyday probably don't know me as well as they think they do.
ReplyDeleteUsually, that's my fault, not theirs.
Usually.
When no one is looking, I:
* Dance in my underware
* eat dessert first
* take all day to finish a purchased drink (starbucks, etc).
* Watch Disney Tween movies
* Tickle my daughter, because I love to hear her laugh
* And worry that I will mess up being a mother and my daughter will be in therapy at 30 for the issues I caused during her childhood.
Yep. Those are just a few things. LOL.
I love you babe, and you no longer need to drink alone. That's what wine night-- or in our cases wine weekends are for.
I like those tacky teen romantic movies (shh! don't tell!), which lead to minor crushes, which lead to checking out IMBD for more of their movies. The things i have seen...
ReplyDeleteIt's after they're gone that you realize just how much of yourself you gave up, and what they were doing to you (mine always told me anything bad anyone said about me. I mean, really, WHY?)
RSE, you're right...a lot of the not knowing does fall on my shoulders. Sometimes its hard to share. :) Love you too.
ReplyDeleteJennifer: I also love those tacky teen movies. It's so true. I really didn't realize how bad things were until...well that's another blog for another day! Thanks so much for reading.
KK, this is a great post. I'm often surprised that my family doesn't see me as being more emotional than I am. Though I'm a big guy, ex-bodybuilder, and am always the one in control when a crisis breaks, I still often tear up when writing or reading emotional scenes.
ReplyDeleteMy family absolutely doesn't believe it when they read those statements in my blogs and interviews, because those moments are inevitably in private. Does that mean I'm a different person than they perceive? And, if so, on how many levels? I also wonder if my wife and children's view of me is the reason I'm not emotional in public. Do I really change when I am around them? I asked a sister this very question recently, and found she agrees with my family. One of my younger brothers, however, absolutely sees me as more emotional.
Are we all chameleons? Are we all subject to the whim of other people's perceptions, especially when those perceptions come from the ones we love? Somewhere I heard that "I like me best when I'm with you" is the greatest compliment you can give. Does that also mean that the people we like are the ones that make us feel and act like our inner selves?
I think it's a fascinating premise and thank you for bringing up the thought process. :-)
Thank you Tim. Reactions like that to my thoughts give me goosebumps! <3
ReplyDelete