Thursday, August 11, 2011

I hear voices...

First can I say I love technology? How awesome is it that I'm sitting at the doctor writing this on my phone?


I'm always excited to meet clients when I go to conventions. I love to put a person with the voice. I like to see if they look anything remotely like the person I envisioned based on their voice. Tall, short, thin or chunky. Edgy or fashion challenged. I'd say it’s a fifty/fifty accuracy rate.  I'm most often wrong with the women. I'm also stunned when I meet someone who has a gruff, nearly abusive demeanor on the phone but then in person gives a big ole hug and a thank you.

Sometimes after meeting the person I still have trouble reconciling what they actually look like with the voice.  At my first convention I met a southern gentleman that looked like Rhett Butler stepped straight out of Gone with the Wind with thick black hair, perfect posture and manners. His voice however, then and now, had me picturing him more along the lines of Larry the Cable Guy. I know what he looks like and I still have trouble picturing him when he calls.

The radio leads to lots of body and voice mismatch. Josh Turner's deep country crooning does not seem to match his body. The guys on my favorite radio show, the Men's Room on KISW 99.9, don't look anything like I pictured them when I heard their voices.  I thought Ted was a little Asian dude! 

I live in a small community and there is pretty much one local company to work with if you've got an integrated telephone system. Their main tech seems to get tasked with recording messages when he does installs and maintenance. You can hear him when you call the doctor, the credit union, and the local transit. His deep baritone lets you know dialing 122 will get you to customer service and the bus service runs from 5 am until 9 pm. I wonder if other people know he's just a regular local guy and not a paid voice. He does a good job. I bet he could pick up some money on the side doing audio books.

What about you? Who doesn't match their voice in your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment