Monday, August 8, 2011

How Comely are the Feet...

Occasionally I get a bug and decide I want to be a runner. Generally this happens when 1) I reach a frustrating plateau in my weight loss or 2) when I’m stressed out. Sometimes hurting physically is preferable to hurting emotionally.  So I go out and pound the pavement and beat up my body for a while hoping to shut off my brain, if only for a few minutes.

I've made changes in the last twelve months. First, I’ve never really cared for distance running at all, but now it has grown on me. Second, when I started losing weight I began running on the treadmill. I preferred that to running outdoors. Now, however, I do enjoy running outside.  One thing that’s awesome about it is the fact that it forces me to push myself. Why? I can’t exactly stop when I’m three miles from my house.  I’m pretty much required to continue. (Please note I use “running” loosely. My preferred term is RJW for Run Jog Walk. This means I start running, I slow to jogging and end up walking. After I brief rest, I resume running and the cycle repeats. Some days I manage to stay in the running stage longer than others.) 

My problem is I can’t seem to find the right pair of running shoes. I’ve tried Nike, Reebok, Adidas, and most recently an expensive pair of Saucony’s. I like my shoes tight. I want to feel like my shoe is part of my foot. I’ve tried runners and cross trainers. When they’re long enough in the toe box, they’re too loose in heel. I normally wear a seven and a half; going up to an eight just makes them too big all over. When they're too big all over my heel slides out, my foot bounces around inside the shoe, and I might as well sign up for the new barefoot running trend. 

Twice now I’ve gotten shoes that feel great in the store, but after a few miles make my toes go to sleep.  A weird sensation while you’re running, believe me. Loosening my laces in an attempt to relieve the numbness makes my index toe (do toes have names like fingers?) hit the front of my shoe on every forward stride. This causes bruising of the nail bed and inevitably my toe nail falls off. Gross!

I even went to REI and consulted with an “expert” to find the right pair of shoes. I tried some of those crazy toe-finger shoes. They were hideous and uncomfortable. I tried a few other pairs before settling on the Saucony’s. Maybe I need to invest in some custom made inserts?

Are you a runner? Do you have shoes you love and recommend? I’d love to hear about it. Otherwise, I’m afraid I’m going to have to resign myself to constantly having a goofy looking pedicure.

No comments:

Post a Comment