I was recently discussing douche bag people with my friend. I told her, “This is when I’d like to believe all the things I learned in Church. That God is going to destroy all these stupid losers.” The problem is, I can’t reconcile myself to understanding who God is going to destroy. Based on the beliefs I was raised with, my very close friends will be destroyed by God. I will be destroyed by God. This seems really messed up to me.
You hear people say, “I just try to be a good person.” A good person in whose opinion? I’m betting that Hitler thought he was being a good person. I’m betting he had what he perceived as the best interests of his friends, family and countrymen in mind when he decided to attempt to wipe the Jews off the face of the planet.
Who sets the standards for “being a good person?” If you use the standards set in the bible, none of us are good people and we’re all doomed.
As the world continues to fill with atrocities, what is the solution? Too many people won’t raise their voice. They see bad things, but keep their mouth shut. Attempts at raising awareness of issues peacefully end up with little to no recognition. Attempts to raise awareness in other ways ends with news events like the recent riots in London, Egypt, Tunisia, Syria…there have been more riots in the news this year than I can remember. Then, in countries with a democratic system in place, where individuals can express themselves through voting, how many take advantage of the opportunity. How many sat out thinking, “well, my little vote doesn’t matter anyway.” (Look at the douches in Congress as a result!)
I make no offer of a solution here. I really have absolutely no idea. What I do know, is that I worry about making the right decisions in life for myself, for my children, for the future. What do you consider on this Sunday, God’s day of rest? Can you find reconciliation and peace of mind within your belief system?
P.S. This has been prescheduled. It is not a sign that I survived Six Flags. :P
P.S. This has been prescheduled. It is not a sign that I survived Six Flags. :P
Hope you survived the roller coasters! Have read several of your blogs and enjoyed them and have tweeted about you. A new "fan." Will.
ReplyDelete