I remember as a kid getting ready to go on a weekend trip, or a vacation or off to see Grandma and we could never get out the door. My brothers and I would be playing in the yard, reading books, or some other things while it seemingly took my parents forever to get ready. If we complained at all we were promptly sent to move pipes or pull weeds or some other horrific task.
Now that I’m an adult and it’s my responsibility to get us out the door I find myself in the same conundrum my parents must have been in. Fact is leaving the house for the weekend means stuff either a) doesn’t get done or b) needs to be crammed in before we go. All those tasks that are normally done on the weekend like laundry, mowing the lawn, or cleaning out the fridge; yeah, that stuffs not going to happen because you’re not home! Then there’s making sure the pets are taken care of…either by being sure they have enough food to last two days or by finding pet sitters. Finally, there are the things you wouldn’t think of normally because they won’t apply. Like making sure the trash is taken out before you go so the house doesn’t smell when you get back, running the dishwasher, checking the washer for wet clothes or making sure stuff in the fridge won’t go bad before you return.
Now that all that house stuff is taken care of, there’s the task of making sure everyone has their things. I can’t tell you how much money has been spent on camping trips because we’re five hours from home when someone realizes they forgot their jacket, their swimsuit, the sunscreen or the firewood. Trying to make sure four people all have the things they need for the number of days we’re going to be gone is crazy. Living in the great state of Washington makes it even worse. If I’m traveling from the west side to the east side, we’re starting with long pants and sweatshirts and ending in shorts and tanks tops.
Mom and Dad, my hats off to you. I’m sorry I gave you such a hard time! Loves! J
No comments:
Post a Comment