I recently heard, “I’m always romantic.” This made me laugh.
I don’t care how wonderful you are Guys, you are NOT always romantic.
However, this does make me ponder: what is romantic? Is romance
some Hollywood idea of wine, roses, and candles? Maybe it’s a yacht ride and a
violinist that pops up out of nowhere to serenade you while you dance and the
world stops around you? Maybe it’s your favorite artist randomly showing up at
your big event.
Perhaps it's a more realistic dinner and a movie? Or is it a bouquet of flowers sent to your work? Maybe a surprise trip to a day spa? Is it romantic if he says, "I'll take care of the kids/pets/house today. You go relax and read your book"?
Is it a go big or go home situation? If your man doesn’t spend
at least xx amount of money on you, do you bitch to all your friends about
how awful he is? Do you keep the special things he does to yourself? Or consider them bragging rights? What about if he forgets it's your day to relax and you end up not relaxing. Does he still get points for trying?
Romance to me is not about the big production. (Blame my
very practical mother for instilling that in me.) Rather, romance is whatever
makes me go all gooey inside. That
moment is going to strike at different times, but I can give you a few examples:
- Holding my hand
- Unexpected correspondence (a letter, card, email or even a phone call)
- Saying thank you and meaning it
- Remembering important dates
- Buying me coffee
- Cleaning up
- Taking the initiative
I think my favorite definition of romantic is this:
b : marked by expressions of love or affection
Behavior, no matter how seemingly insignificant or minor, when marked by expressions of love or affection, the little things that are done from the heart...now that's romantic.
Guess I'm a pretty lucky girl after all. (Unless he's only using flattery to get laid. In which case, he's not working hard enough. Hmmm.)
Guess I'm a pretty lucky girl after all. (Unless he's only using flattery to get laid. In which case, he's not working hard enough. Hmmm.)
How about you? What do you consider romantic? Guys, what can/does your woman do that is
romantic? Do you actually like those candle filled bubble baths? What about
those awkward dinners with the fine china? Come on Guys...here's your chance to say what you think. :-)
P.S. If you enjoyed this, you might also like this guest post.
I don't know much about what's romantic myself. Sure I write about it, but that's *fiction*.
ReplyDeleteMy personal idea of romance is so different than most people. For instance: I hate roses. Absolutely hate them. Yes, they're pretty on a bush, but I hate receiving them. They're a Hallmark copout. Same thing with a box of chocolates, stuffed animal, or balloons.
Now before you say, 'but you LOVE chocolate," a person can love something, but if they can do it for themselves or get it for themselves and no actual thought has to go into it--is that really romantic?
Romance for me is so much more-- everyday.
Listen to "Might Get Lucky" by Darius Rucker.
That's romantic to me.
The Marine doing the grocery shopping, rubbing my back without expecting anything in return, or him spending time with the Munchkin and actually spending time with her--not attached to his laptop while she colors, etc.
That's romantic to me.
I don't need expensive dinners or candle light. I don't need gold and jewels.
I need honest thought, consideration, understanding, and someone who truly knows who I am, what I need, and what I want.
Kind of like getting a bottle or three of wine in the mail, or a surprise package of my favorite chai on my doorstep.
That's romance.
It's also called friendship and love.
This is why you're my hetero life mate...you get me. :D
ReplyDelete