Friday, September 2, 2011

Online Dating Works

The end of 2009 was tough and 2010 had an even rougher beginning. My healing process however, had begun through writing. It gave me a place to open up and express myself without judgement. The writers group that I had joined was a friendly bunch and offered nothing but encouragement.

I had been enjoying the works of a feisty gal who wrote about violence and sex with a sharp wit and fast moving dialogue. One day she posted some comment about the weather or I did. I don't remember which, but I got an email that said, "You're from Washington state? How funny. I'm from there." Turned out she grew up just up the road from me.

We started emailing and instant messaging.  Mostly about writing and the characters that we were enjoying playing with.  Eventually, as trust was established we started learning more about each other. Her husband, The Marine, was off doing some training and she was really missing him.  My husband, the soon to be Ex, was continuing his evil ways, inspiring us to plot his literary doom.

Our friendship is a strange one. We communicated then, and still, almost exclusively via text messages and instant messaging. Finally, in August of 2010 we decided to meet. After work one Friday, I jumped in my car and drove to the airport and several hours later arrived in the desert of California.

It was only then that I started to doubt my decision. I didn't even know what my friend looked like. As I approached her car, following her directions on my phone I thought, "Am I really going to get into this woman's car?"

I found out later that she'd had a similar conversation with her mother on the two hour drive to pick me up. "Are you really going to pick up a complete stranger?"

Only we weren't strangers. Not at all.  Rather she was my best friend, a kindred spirit and in so many ways, my rock through the hard times. The yin to my yang, or something like that. The beauty of technology is that we can always be connected. She always just a text message, an IM, an email or, at times, a phone call away. I'm virtually guaranteed a "good morning" before 8. She knows when I'm down. She's just there for me. Always.

My "online" relationship has been a roaring success. RS Emeline is, as she puts it, "my hetero life mate."  Love you babe!

If you haven't had the opportunity, check her out at here. Or follow her on twitter @rsemeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment