Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dark Mornings


It’s edging into fall. I can feel it. The nights and mornings are starting to get cool and crisp. Not to mention its dark when I wake up now. 

I hate that it’s dark when I wake up. 

I’m not a morning person anyway, but toss in warm and soft with the dark and it’s a recipe for a snooze disaster.

I have this great down comforter that I really love. It's light weight but super warm. The only thing I don’t like about it and, in fact every other down comforter that I’ve owned, is in spite of their promises that the feathers won’t drift; that their box weave construction will keep the down evenly spaced, it most certainly does not. The foot of my comforter is all bulky, near exploding, with fluff and the top is all thin. I get a little claustrophobic when stuff is in my face, so it’s not a horrible thing, but still. It looks funny when I make my bed.

Being super smart like I am (snicker) I think, okay, I’ll just flip the comforter around and eventually the feathers will drift and space themselves out again.  This doesn’t happen. Ever.  Why the heck not is what I want to know!?!

Anyway, said comforter is totally soft and warm and wonderful.  When combined with the memory foam topper that hugs my body, a cocoon of amazing is created. It's only a sense of responsibility and the knowledge that my cocoon of amazing would disappear without the smelly green stuff, that forces my body out of bed on those dark, cool mornings. The promise of a hot cup of caffeinated deliciousness might help as well.

I toss and turn a lot and often can’t sleep, but I love my bed. Only one thing could make it better. I’ll let you muse on that. ;)

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I am the strange incarnation known as-- a morning person. I *hate* that it is darker later in the days now. It makes it hard to get up when my body is convinced it's still night. I love sunrise, and have for years. Living in the desert is wonderful for the sunny wake-ups, but even here we're tortured with longer periods of darkness.

    And damn those feather down comforters. They're worse when you've got them stuffed inside a duvet and they constantly shift downward. Every time I share the bed with the Marine, I wake up to the entire thing being heavy at the bottom, and it heaped on the floor in a massive puddle.

    They get heavy to pull up when you're sleeping... Sigh.

    Maybe you should work on a fix for that. Right after you finish that teleporter.

    ReplyDelete