Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sun Up

In the summer, when the days are longer, do you ever notice that you just naturally wake as the day dawns? Sure, if its the weekend, you might turn back over and go right back to sleep, but your body, at least as I understand from science/medicine/whatever, has a natural sleep/wake cycle.

Since its now pitch dark when I wake up in the morning, I have a hard time getting up. I've decided to employ the assistance of a nifty device called the Sun Up. It's essentially a visual alarm clock. I hook it up to my bedside lamp and tell it when I want to be awake.  I also give it the interval I want to use; in other words, how quickly do I want the "sun" to rise.

The first morning I used it I kinda blinked awake and wondered what woke me up. It was a much nicer awakening than the harsh beeping of my alarm. The second morning was a similar feeling of calm and slowly coming alert. I did notice however, that I wake pretty quickly. The interval was set for thirty minutes and I was awake ten minutes into the cycle.

I think I like it. Why start my day being jolted from whatever sleep I managed to slip into only a few hours before? Especially since its pretty much gonna be dark here for the next six months.

Yippee

2 comments:

  1. KK, another fascinating post. I've long been a tad obsessive about work, so I tend to sleep a lot less than I should. My family often jokes that I never actually watch TV, it's just an excuse to nap. Oddly, I almost always wake to the sound of an alarm, but it never "alarms" me because I usually don't actually wake up until I'm in a standing position and the beep is off (yes, I have to make sure the alarm is not within reach of where I'm sleeping, or I would likely shut it off and never know). In short, because I can sleep almost instantly whenever I stop working, day or night, I fear your "Sun Up" would simply sunburn my eyelids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I fall asleep watching tv/movies all the time. Especially if I have someone to snuggle with while watching. Thanks for reading, Tim. 

    ReplyDelete