Saturday, September 3, 2011

E-Readers

I often see posts and comments about what kind of an e-reader to get. I'm going to take a moment here and put in my unsolicited plug for the Kindle. My reason is simple: in my opinion, the Kindle is closest in look and feel to a real book.  I love real books.  I love the feel of them in my hand, I love the way they smell, I love turning the pages.

Using an iPad or Nook to read a book is like using a multi-tool when all you need is a screwdriver. Sure it works, but it's awkward. Alton Brown may believe that in the kitchen you shouldn't have a singular use tool, but I disagree when it comes to reading. 

When I read a book, I want to read the book!  I don't want to play games on my book. I don't want to watch a movie on my book. I don't want to get on the internet with my book.  

Before my Kindle I would bring a book with me when I traveled. If I was close to finishing the book, I'd debate if I should pack a second book, or pick up a new one at the airport.  Picking up a book at the airport is always a gamble. You never know if there will actually be something there that you want to read. Packing a second book just meant more stuff to carry around.  Having my Kindle means I can easily carry several books with me or even reload an old one that I want to read again.  I can also read my friends WIPs (works in progress) or edit my own stories.

So, if you're looking for a great way to have your library with you at all times and capitalize on the ease of grabbing a new book, in my opinion, Kindle is the way to go.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Kindle. I want one. I really, really want one. I bought one for Johnny's b-day and he loves it- he loves the fact that he can read it outside and not have to worry about there being a glare on the screen. So, I'll be getting one- but probably not until my birthday..until then I'll read my "real" books and books on my I-Pod Touch. It isnt' great- but I can read in my bed at night without having to remember to turn off the light before I fall asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KK, it never ceases to amaze me at the variety of subjects you seem to stumble across for this little slice of literary heaven.

    I promise to address the question of e-readers but first let me give a little background. I grew up in a poor household in conditions that I've promised not to discuss for hopefully many more years. I can say my parents hated each other, and because they were completely dysfunctional and lacking in self-awareness, they used all six of their children as sledgehammers against each other. In my world, there wasn't anyplace to run, at least not a physical place. Instead, I buried myself in books. I devoured them like a starving animal who stumbled into a pantry. I used those words for both shelter from a world turned upside down and something else, too: I used them for guidance. I needed role models that would not only show me how to find strength to endure the storms I had no control over, but they also served as examples of people living lives of peace, and control and maybe, just maybe, even normalcy.

    So, KK, as I read your question about which e-reader (and I personally use a Kindle) I can't help thinking that any e-reader that can draw words seemingly out of the ether, any e-reader that can provide a shelter and guiding thoughts to people in need will do just fine.
    Besides, most e-readers can be lit beneath the covers, a far cry from the paperback books and flashlights a little boy used to use shortly before crying himself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literary heaven...Tim, you make me blush. :) I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

    I can totally understand where you're coming from regarding escaping to other worlds (I had a good childhood however & I'm lucky in that regard). I think its part of the reason I have eyesight issues now...I can recall many a night straining to read my book in the green glow of my alarm clock. Later in high school I remember glancing at said clock to find that I had exactly two hours before I had to get up and thinking, "do a catch a couple hours? or finish the book?" :)

    I so enjoy reading your works and know that somewhere, your stuff is inspiring other people just as those authors inspired you. Hugs, Tim!

    ReplyDelete