Thursday, October 6, 2011

Night Ramblings

I don't understand how I can be so tired that if I just sit on the couch when I get home from work I instantly fall asleep, but when I crawl in bed at night my mind won't shut off.

It's frustrating. Anyone else experience this?

This kept running through my head the other night...at about 3 a.m.

Sort of to the tune of Oh Holy Night:

Oh restless night!
How I effing loathe thee
Long is the stream of unending thoughts.
Worry banished by light, returns in the dark.
Peaceful slumber escapes me.


Here comes the dawn!
It harkens yonder.
Brightening as time escapes forever.

Okay, so a poet I am not. :) I don't remember the other words, either. At 0300 they seemed genius. Now, less so.

How about you? What kind of uselessness keeps you up at night?

5 comments:

  1. KK, I wish I had a better answer for you...except that it is near midnight here, and I will likely be up for another couple of hours. I will also be awake and working out by 6am. My mind no longer has the ability to hassle my sleep...because I can dozen anywhere anytime for lack of it :-)

    'If I were to try honest advice, I'd suggest purchasing a sound machine that makes forest, rain, waterfall and other simulated noises. I used to have one years ago, and I enjoyed it (though forget if I slept to it :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. RS, I hope you and KK both have more peaceful nights. I often think it's not fair that life presents us with so many challenges and so much general dissatisfaction...but at other times I wonder if those aren't the very ingredients that make striving for a better life worthwhile.

    Be well :-) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks RSE. Hope you start sleeping better as well. Lack of sleep truly colors your world in gray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may consider that...I bet there's an app! I do try sleeping to music from time to time but I end up singing along in my half-addled mind, so that's not helpful either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, poet or not.

    I'm not really sure what's been keeping me awake. I rarely seem to remember any of it anymore. After two months of sporadic and restless sleep, I'm turning into a zombie. 

    Though, the other day I did come up with an idea for another YA novel...during the time I was sudo-sleeping. Nothing like a plot jumping from a dream. 
    No wonder I'm so tired.

    Hope you start sleeping better.

    ReplyDelete