Friday, October 21, 2011

Friendship is Precious

Sometimes the beauty of friendship amazes me.

I have a good friend who belongs to the church I've left. I wanted to tell her personally of my decision so we went out to grab a beer and a bite to eat. Her mother passed away earlier this summer and she's still been struggling with that loss. We talked a bit about how she felt she was finally coping with the lose and ready to "rejoin" society. We talked about her sons, school, and life in general before broaching the subject of why we we're really there.

As much as I wanted to just be strong and tell her straight out, I couldn't. Tears formed, my throat tightened and speaking was nearly impossible. After a moment to compose myself, I told her what was going on. To my complete amazement, she understood and sympathized.

More importantly, she said that it didn't matter to her if I wasn't going to go to church anymore, she would always be my friend.  I was stunned. Part of the church doctrine is strictly shunning those who no longer attend.

My best friend told me that "those who matter won't care and those who care, don't matter." How true those words have proven to be.  I am truly blessed.  I also have to say, after stressing over this for so long, I have never felt lighter and more at peace with myself.

2 comments:

  1. Kilo, 

    Someone happens to know the meaning of friendship! Cherish that and never let it go. Just like in a spousal relationship friends should be there for each other through thick and thin. This sounds like you have a real friend there. I am glad to hear it and hope this friendship endures many years. 

    It is great to see you are feeling better about the whole matter. Remember the tougher the obstacles we overcome, the easier future obstacles will seem to be. We are toughened by those things that give us the most resistance. When you stumble we will be here to help you back on track. 

    As much as you dreaded telling your friend the truth, I don't think you realized at first, how much you mean to her as well. Remember even when you feel alone and cast aside, you are a perfect blend with the rest of us misfits =-P Okay that was just a joke but you never ever are truly alone no matter how a situation presents itself to you. 

    Take care and many well wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to love my misfits very much! Thanks for been a reader and a great supporter.

    ReplyDelete