Perhaps, I was lucky and the people I knew/know were more tolerant than others, the exception rather than the rule. Or perhaps I've been naive, shielded from reality in some way, but as I find random articles on the internet, I'm stunned by the amount of hate people seem justified in spewing.
For example, apparently public nudity is allowed in San Francisco, but they've recently proposed an ordinance that requires clothing in restaurants. I'm not sure how sitting at a table naked qualifies as a sanitation issue, unless these diners are making their way back into the prep area. Do I agree with public nudity? No. I most certainly do not want to see random naughty bits. That being said, the self-righteous hate in the comments of this article is incredible:
- "You've GOT to be shitting me. More reason to not ever go to San
Francisco. No wonder they call California the Granola State (home to the
nuts, flakes, and fruits)."
- "San Franscisco [sic] is modern day Sodom or Gomorah [sic] of Bible time. God is
merciful but He will execute justice on this preverted [sic] city in His time.
I pray for SF to turn from their sin."
- "There is always hope that the next earthquake will break off parts of
California into the ocean! Say San Francisco, Oakland and LA, then the
state would be somewhat normal!"
- "Yeah! I hope they all die as the buildings fall, including the pregnant women and their unborn children."
Call me crazy, but I think this type of behavior is juvenile and inappropriate. I think if you don't like a naked person at the restaurant you're at, you can ask the owner to change to a No Shirt, No Service policy, or you can choose to eat elsewhere.
Misplaced and misdirected hate can be found all over the internet and I don't understand it. This article about nudity and food safety was found on delish.com, a place for food enthusiasts not a platform for moral debate. I still believe the comments are completely inappropriate, but perhaps they would've made more sense in a forum discussing public nudity?
Why do people feel the need to voice their hatred at will?
Why post something like this on an article about autism:
- "Ignorance IS bliss! There isn't any MONEY in this diagnosis! NEWSFLASH ~ OUR GOVERNMENT IS BROKE!!! My child is perfectly joyful and everyone simply loves her! She possess the phenominal ability to memorize dialog and comments from hearing the information ONCE! I possess a MASTER's degree and very typical in my psycho / social disposition plus I am working toward my DOCTORATE! God is wathing [sic] you and KARMA is reciprocal!"
Why is it okay to post something like this on an article about a Soldier who died and how is family is coping:
- "Blah blah blah.. someone went to kill other people cause some other people, that are known for LYING, told him to and he died.
I AM sorry that a living creature lost their life.
I am NOT sorry for HOW he lost his life.
I am NOT grateful for his 'service'.
He CHOSE to listen to LIARS, he CHOSE to kill people, and he got what he asked for."
- "dont get me wrong here, im all for giving these men and women all they need, but within reasons. Post traumatic syndrome is something mental, can be remedied. if you cannot handle it, then dont join, seriously"
What gives anyone the right to hate the Soldier doing his job just because they disagree with the wars in the Middle East? Or to think that they don't deserve adequate health care when they come home?
Perhaps it is because of beliefs like these posted in response to the exotic animal incident in Ohio:
- "I'd rather see all three of you shot, than animals that were kept in captivity shot because of some humans stupidity. Yep, that's right, I hold human life in so little regard. So, continue to respond, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd sooner see you dead. The only shame is that nothing would be there to feast on your carcasses. Btw, local animal control has tranquilizers, and last I checked lions and tigers aren't exactly equipped to open car doors. As I said, stupid, lazy, ignorant imbeciles, such as yourselves are much better off dead. It actually does the human race some good. Having been to Ohio though, I can't say I'm surprised, the level of intelligence that resides there isn't exactly rife with promise."
In addition to the values I personally work to instill in my children, since Kindergarten my children's school has promoted courtesy, kindness and respect to the entire student body. Have we grown up and forgotten these basic principles?
Perhaps these devout Christians, who glory in quoting scripture, should take a moment to reflect on this: “Don’t judge, so that you won’t be judged. You’ll receive the same judgment you give. Whatever you deal out will be dealt out to you. Why do you see the splinter that’s in your brother’s or sister’s eye, but don’t notice the log in your own eye?"
(On a complete side note, apparently I'm not the only one noticing dumb comments today. Please take a moment to enjoy this article from Cracked.)
No comments:
Post a Comment