I get out of breath too quickly. My body doesn't hurt. I feel like I could keep going. Except I can't breathe.
I've read some articles on exercised induced asthma, but I don't think that's what it is. I just feel like I'm not breathing effectively.
I also tend to get side aches.
I've read they may be caused by dehydration. So, I try to drink water all day on my run days. That hasn't seemed to help much. Maybe I'm not drinking enough water?
Or, maybe the internet is rife with mediocre advice, because I also found this article. I found it to be more believable and have followed some of its advice in an attempt to breath more deeply. However, then I really feel like I'm drowning or suffocating. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. After a few moments however, my nose burns like I jumped into the deep end of the pool and got chlorine up my nose.
Also, it takes every bit of my focus to breathe. Forcing myself to breathe in through my nose feels like trying to stay underwater for a couple more seconds when your lungs are screaming for air. It's unnatural to me.
"Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out," is my running mantra...along with "you can make it to the next mailbox" or "keep going until that curve" thrown in.
I started running because I wanted to get healthier and drop a few pounds. Now, I've got these challenges coming up. I never figured I'd say this, but I enjoy running. I just can't seem to get over this hurdle to make it enjoy-able. Any advice for this aspiring athlete?
No comments:
Post a Comment