Monday, April 23, 2012

Love to Hate You

Technology.

The word alone sparks love and hatred.

Right now, hatred.

I hate my smartphone. Which is all the more frustrating because I need my smartphone.

I don't have a land line. My smartphone is my link to the world. I get both work and personal emails there. I tweet. Then there are blog and Facebook updates (both reading and making them). Most importantly, text messages are my link to the most important people in my life. I also have a game or two that entertain me. Of least importance, is the fact that it is a phone.

However, my Verizon Droid Incredible, is an incredible piece of crap. For some time I've been getting these "low storage space" messages.  Googling has revealed that it is some sort of internal cache that is sized very, very small. How to fix it? No way that I can tell.  Why? Most of the solutions I've found suggest rooting your phone to rid yourself of the phone bloating applications Verizon forces on you like MyVerizon, Skype, Slacker, etc.

I'd love to root my phone.  In fact, I asked my resident tech guru expert at work to do exactly that.  After all, he rooted my boss's phone in less than 5 minutes.

What happened?

He messed with mine for over thirty minutes before giving up. The Droid Incredible, bless its little robotic heart (that's southern for 'fucking piece of shit' btw according to my friend @evinschmevin), can't be rooted if its been updated to a certain OS/hardware update/something.

So, I'm stuck with this anger inducing phone for the next ten months.

Somehow, a few minutes ago, I managed to make the low space message go away.  However, along with it went my contacts, my text messages and my emails. It's rebooting while I write this and resist the urge to take a freaking sledgehammer to it.

What piece of technology do you love to hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment