I read a post today about 25 classic books everyone should read. I consider myself quite a reader, but here is my results for said list:
25. Great Expectations Charles Dickens -- NO
24. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee -- NO
23. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley -- NO
22. Call of the Wild by Jack London -- YES
21. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison -- NO
20. Art of War by Sun Tzu -- NO
19. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne -- NO
18. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain -- YES
17. Something, anything by Edgar Allan Poe -- YES
16. Fences by August Wilson -- NO
15. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte -- NO
14. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston -- NO
13. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway -- NO
12. Moby Dick by Herman Melville -- NO (Started, never finished)
11. The Bible -- Sort of (Never in its entirety from beginning to end.)
10. Hamlet by William Shakespeare -- YES
9. Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller -- NO
8. Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde -- NO
7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald -- NO
6. Lord of the Flies by William Golding -- NO
5. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson -- NO
4. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger -- NO
3. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe -- NO
2. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare -- YES
1. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck -- YES
So, I've read six of twenty-five "classic" everyone-should-read books. Honestly, I'm not sure I care. What do you think? Do you agree that everyone should read these twenty-five books before college? Or at least at some point in their life? Have you? Is there one of these books from your own experience you think I should add to my must read list? I'm curious to know.
Of the ones you have not read yet that I have read, I suggest, Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mocking Bird, Their Eyes Were Watching God. I read Gatsby and was disappointed...it was excellent, but did not live up to the immense hype. lol. In Cold Blood is usually on these lists as well. If you have not read that one, then do. As well as The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Man, I can go on and on so let me stop. lol.
ReplyDelete